Thursday, November 06, 2008

The things you take for granted

You know what I have come to love about Australia? The money is colourful. There's no chance of mistaking a $5 note for a $10 or a $20 because one's pink, another is blue and the other is orange. And they're noticeably different sizes too, just in case you are stupid (or colourblind).

I don't know if there are any other countries that do that. Japan certainly doesn't.

And because I am stupid, I have on three different occasions handed over a 10,000 yen note with a few coins for something that cost between 1000 and 1500 yen. Good thing the Japanese are so polite they don't point out your dumbness (and so honest they don't take advantage of you).

4 comments:

amariaf2000 said...

That's so neat to see the money different colors and sizes! In America, it's all green and the same size.

Bonnie Way aka the Koala Mom said...

I can TOTALLY understand. In Canada, we have colourful money too. The Americans have green money. All the same size. I loved Aussie money when I was there.

Anonymous said...

canada has coloured money! (well TKBW just said that). and the UK has coloured, different sized money too.

i hate the american green money. too easy to give a 20 instead of a 1. and i'm not the biggest fan of dollar bills either.

what i like about aussie money is that it's waterproof (or at least water resistant).

Nat said...

Interesting what you remember and what you don't. I've only spent a long weekend in Canada and I don't remember its money at all. But it must have been colourful! So there you go. (I've never been to the UK.)

One of the restaurants here has banknotes from around the world decorating their tables. Most of them are very boring colours in such pale shades they might as well be grey. I'll have to look for a Canadian banknote next time we go there.