Monday, September 29, 2008

Yay for blackouts

On Thursday night I was about to start cooking dinner -- well, actually I had already started by chopping the onions and capsicum and putting them on the stove, but the pan hadn't even warmed up yet -- when the power went out. Our whole apartment block was in darkness. Interesting the sort of things that bring a community together. We stood out on the balcony and could see and hear people running up and down the corridors and stairs, jabbering at each other and shining torches, or just standing around doing nothing. Having no idea how long this situation would last I said to Craig "D'oh! I guess this means we're going to have to go out for dinner."

Craig agreed that this was a burden we'd have to bravely shoulder, and said "So, what would you like?"
"Something not Japanese," I replied.
"Indian?"
"Yep."

So we wandered down to this nifty little Indian restuarant called Aladdin we had found on our first night in Numazu. As well as having typically delicious Indian flavours (and when they say something is hot it actually is! That's something else I've really missed here in Japan; they simply Don't Do Spicy), this restuarant serves the most enormous pieces of naan bread you ever did see. So for a decent price, apart from their imported Indian beers which I really didn't care about anyway, you get a great meal which you didn't have to cook yourself. Love it.

And on our return home, the power was back on.

***** ***** *****
ETA: I guess I should explain the location of this restuarant for anyone who happens to find themselves in Numazu one day and wondering what to eat. Um, I haven't learned the names of the streets around here. But you walk up that main street north and slightly west of Numazu Station (the one that leads to Ishibashi Plaza), and take the second street on the left. It's about four shopfronts along on the north side of the street. (Just look for the sign saying "Aladdin".) Less than five minutes walk from the station.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

glad you had a semi-win for a change. Mmmmmmmm Indian, I could so go some Indian right now!
Actually that's only because it tastes nice, I'm not actually hungry, which surprises me as I haven't eaten anything since last night's dinner. The Randle's are good cooks! Mrs Randle made this really nice Chilli stuff, Kaylee made "popovers" (not sure if you've heard of them, I hadn't), and Kaylee and Jess made the most delicious chocolate browny things I've had) :) I'm so loving being on this adventure! :)