Monday, August 18, 2008

Feeling hot, hot, hot!

It's been in the mid-30s (Celsius) with about 240% humidity. Now, lest you think from one of my recent posts that I'm a huge fan of these weather conditions, let me clarify: I like hot weather. I love warm weather. I dislike cold (and wet) weather. I hate, loathe and despise very cold weather. So which do you think I prefer: mid-30s with 240% humidity, or frost on our windscreen? There you have it.

Yesterday we went on an all-day excursion to Tokyo. We expected it to be just as hot and humid there, so were rather shocked on arrival to discover it was almost cold! Which meant we were underdressed for the occasion too. And it rained – a LOT – and we didn't have umbrellas so we got drenched. (Fortunately it wasn't really cold, only comparitively so.) So not only did we stick out for being a head taller than everyone else and white-skinned, we were also the stupid tourists without umbrellas, looking like used mops. But for the record, there were some other people without umbrellas too – all gaijin (foreignors) of course. Stupid tourists.

Anyway, this week is forecast to be in the mid-high 20s in Numazu, which is about my ideal, humid or not. Today, indeed, has been the first day I haven't used the air conditioners, and I've had the windows and doors open all day long to try and cool the apartment down. It's been lovely, really. You get a nice breeze on the ninth floor. (Can you tell I still find being on the ninth floor a novelty?)

1 comment:

Clare said...

OOhh wow!! Talk about crazy!
Always the way with moving, sooo much to do.
Glad to hear the car sold. The stuff in the boot, that's what I would have done too, lol