Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Homebirth options in Japan

This post is written for anyone researching homebirth and/or freebirth in Japan. Please note that I am speaking of my personal experience only, and make no claims that because it happened this way for me it will be the same for others. However, I am sharing my experience so that anyone interested can see what's possible for themselves.

The focus of this post is freebirth, also known as unassisted birth. I wasn't very interested in having a Japanese homebirth midwife for a couple of reasons which I will explain in a moment, although I did briefly investigate this option. As it was impractical for me to go back to Australia for the birth, I also attempted to find an Australian midwife willing to come over to Japan to attend me. However, my efforts were unsuccessful, so freebirth was it. I did have a doula in attendance, who came over from Australia. (As far as I can tell, doulas do not exist in Japan.)

The reasons I chose not to have a Japanese homebirth midwife are: 1) I wanted an attendant who could speak fluent English, because communication difficulties were not something I was prepared to put up with while in labour. Very few Japanese midwives speak English, let alone fluently. 2) Homebirth midwives in Japan are not independent practitioners, which means they are required to have a back-up doctor and hospital, and are therefore bound by that doctor and hospital's birth policies. This means that the pregnant woman is obligated to pass a whole lot of tests and submit to a whole lot of antenatal appointments and procedures in order to be considered "low-risk" enough to give birth at home. I am opposed to the routine use of medical procedures and tests during pregnancy and birth, which is why I knew having a Japanese midwife was not in my best interests.

Another factor I needed to consider was that I wanted to have a waterbirth. Waterbirths are not available in Japanese hospitals. Women who choose homebirth with a midwife in Japan may be able to have a waterbirth if the midwife is comfortable with the idea (not all of them are) and they are willing to organise a birth pool for themselves. Most women who take this option simply use their bath. This wasn't possible for me, because our bath wasn't large enough. I ended up borrowing a La Bassine "Made in Water" birth pool from a friend back in Australia, and we set it up in our lounge room with a hose running from the kitchen tap to fill it.

An important thing to know that freebirth is legal in Japan. It's rare -- I know of only one other planned freebirth to have occurred here, and even in that case it's only hearsay, I have not been in direct contact with the couple involved. But just because it doesn't happen very often, doesn't mean it's not an option, either from a legal or practical standpoint.

Of course, any intelligent freebirther is going to take careful steps to ensure she has an appropriate back-up plan in case transfer to hospital during or after birth becomes necessary. In most cases, calling the emergency ambulance number (119) is sufficient. You don't actually need a back-up booking at a hospital, because when you call for an ambulance they will just send you to the nearest available hospital.

For the administrative side of things, the documents required are:

* The boshi techo, or mother and child health handbook.
Strictly speaking this is actually not necessary, however it makes things run a lot more smoothly if you do have it. Ordinarily you collect a boshi techo from your local city health centre after receiving a pregnancy confirmation certificate from your doctor. Since I was having an unassisted pregnancy, I didn't have a doctor or pregnancy confirmation certificate, so I didn't collect a boshi techo until week 34 of my pregnancy by which time it was extremely obvious that I was pregnant. (Anecdotally, I know someone who turned up to her city health centre at 8 weeks pregnant and told them she was still looking for a midwife, and that was good enough for them.)

* The shussei shomeisho
* The shussei todoke
It's a dog's breakfast trying to understand what these documents are if you google them. Every single website seems to have a different (often contradictory) explanation of what they actually are, and what the difference is between them, etc. I still don't get it either. All I know is that they're required for registering your baby's birth, and are equivalent to a birth certificate. To add to the confusion, some websites refer to a single document called the shussei todoke juri shomeisho or shussei todoke kisaijiko shomeisho. So all I'm going to do is explain what I did to get hold of them:

I went to the city office at 34 weeks with a Japanese friend who explained to the staff that I was freebirthing but would have a doula in attendance, and that I needed a copy of the shussei shomeisho. They handed over the document, which was actually the shussei todoke and shussei shomeisho together on an A3-sized sheet of paper, with no questions asked. I'm not sure if I was just plain lucky and got an open-minded staff member that day, if having a Japanese friend with me helped, or if it was of no concern to the city office what kind of birth I was planning anyway. My friend was pleasantly surprised that it was as simple as that to get hold of the form, because it is ordinarily issued by the hospital you give birth in. In any case, the important thing is that the shussei shomeisho has provision on it for someone other than a doctor or midwife to sign that they witnessed the birth. This made registering my baby's birth a piece of cake since I had a doula who signed it for me. I'm not sure what you would do if you go totally unassisted, or just have your partner there. I was told by a nurse early on in my pregnancy that the form had to be signed by someone other than the baby's parents (although it would certainly be worth verifying this for yourself if that's the option you wish to take, because one thing I learned through this whole experience was "don't just take a nurse or doctor's word for it").

The shussei shomeisho needs to be lodged in person at the city office within 14 days of the birth. They wave their magic wand over it and hand it back to you in the form of a stamped photocopy (there's a small fee involved). That document becomes your all-important shussei todoke, or birth certificate. You might want to consider obtaining more than one copy of it. Fortunately if you ever need another one, you can just rock up to your city office and they'll give you a copy for another small fee.

After the registration process is done, all other documents you need (alien registration card, visas, re-entry permits, registration with your own country, passports, etc) are processed exactly the same way they'd be processed if your baby was born in hospital, and information on how to go about organising all of that is readily available via your city office and embassy or consulate.

If you have any questions, please contact me by leaving a comment here.

19 comments:

Laura said...

I'm so happy the paperwork was an easy process for you!

Tania said...

Hi Nat. Great information here. I am a Canadian and am about to give birth in Japan. I am 35 weeks and I had planned a homebirth with a Japanese midwife and then at 29 weeks they told me that because I was RH- I couldn't have a homebirth and that the "guidelines" say I can't have a homebirth here in Japan, it must be in the hospital. Well you can imagine my response. I am still struggling with the hospital so much as we were thinking of doing an open system where we just have my private midwife and just be in the hospital room..... well they still want to monitor me and manage me in every way possible. I am extremely low risk as I am really healthy and the baby has no problems... so I am considering having the unassisted birth. Where in Japan did you have the baby??? Was it Tokyo?

Nat said...

Hi Tania. I gave birth in Numazu, which is a city in Shizuoka prefecture. So no, not Tokyo. Are you in Tokyo?

I'm really sorry, but sadly not surprised, to hear of your difficulties with the system. This sort of thing is exactly why I didn't want to go through the system in the first place, so I really appreciate you sharing your experience. Hopefully it'll help any other women reading this with their decision-making.

You mentioned having a private midwife, which I am a little surprised about because I was of the understanding that there is no such thing in Japan. Would you mind please clarifying that for me? Whose "guidelines" are saying you can't have a homebirth because of your RH status?

I hope you have adequate support for freebirthing since that's really the only way you're going to get a birth on your own terms. If you'd like to continue this conversation privately please send me your email address via a comment (which I promise not to publish) and I'll do what I can to help you.

Nat said...

Tania's response to my question about private midwives in Japan was as follows:

I guess by saying "private" midwife I just meant someone who just works for herself, she isn't associated with any particular hospital or clinic. But she is a part of the midwives association in Japan so she does require some prenatal visits at the hospital. So maybe by saying "private" that was wrong.

About the guidelines, the MIdwives association in Japan created a set of guidelines and in that it says that Rh- mothers MUST have there babies in a hospital..... even though many of them don't agree with it anyway.. it is really stupid but just one of those Japanese "rules" as I am sure you know all about. so basically the midwife I was seeing in the beginning was told by the hospital that if she goes against the guidelines and delivers my baby then they will shut her down....


Thanks for clarifying that for me, Tania. It would appear then that while you can hire a "private" midwife, she is still subject to following rules as to who she is allowed to support at a homebirth which are set by someone else -- in this case, the Japanese Midwives' Association. So she's not really an independent, autonomous practitioner.

Kaeru said...

Hi Nat! Came across your website after researching online about shussei todoke. You are right, it is confusiing. My embassy is requiring me to submit it to them to report my child's birth. My Japanese wife says that City Hall said they don't issue such documents. Now I am confused and about to miss the deadline to file the same with my embassy. Would you know the full name of the document that embassies usually require? Thanks!

Nat said...

Hi Kaeru, which embassy are you filing with? I can only speak for the Australian embassy which asked for the "shusseitodoke-kisaijikoshoumeisho (出生届記載事項証明書)". I *assume* that other embassies would want the same document, but I can't guarantee it, nor can I guarantee that other embassies would call it by the same name.

Did your wife give birth at home or hospital? If your child was born in a hospital, then the documents they provided you with at the time of birth will be the ones you need. If it was a homebirth with a registered midwife, then she would also have provided you with the documents you need. The only time you'd have to get the documents for yourself is if you've had a freebirth, in which case I'd check with your local city hall again and explain your situation. Good luck! I know it's a circus, but if it's any consolation, I've actually found the Japanese beauracracy quite helpful and tolerant of foreigners and their strange ways. ;)

haryun said...

Hi Nat

I found your story really encouraging. I am 32 weeks pregnant based in Tokyo. I had my first child by an elective c-section as she was breech and am really hoping to have a natural birth this time.

I have been considering a home birth for a long time but my doctor looked at me as if I was a mad woman when I asked about the option. My husband is still careful about the free birth option as he has so much to worry about the possible danger. Due to my previous experience I struggle to find a midwife to support me. Really frustrating!

I wish I had a little more options to consider! I really don't want to end up having another c-section!

Nat said...

Hello haryun, thanks for commenting. I'm sorry you're finding it so hard to get the support you need for the birth you want. If freebirth is truly not a workable option for you, I'd advise labouring at home for as long as you possibly can and only going to hospital at the last minute. The longer you stay away from them, the less they can interfere with your natural birth! ;) However, if your husband is open to the idea of doing some research, I'd strongly encourage both of you to read up as much as you can about natural birth, because it's never too late to stay home! Happy to continue this conversation with you privately if you want to give me your email address (which I will not publish).

Gabe campion said...

Did you tear or anything?? I tore with my second daughter. Took the doc an hour to stitch me up. That would be my only concern with a homebirth...

Nat said...

Hi Gabe, thanks for your comment. I'm sorry you had such an awful experience with your 2nd daughter's birth. It must have been a really bad tear to need an hour for stitching!

To answer your question, yes, I had a small tear which healed on its own over the course of about a week. A tear only needs to be stitched if it's 3rd or 4th degree, neither of which are likely to happen in a homebirth if you are only pushing according to your own body's natural inclination. 2nd degree tears are not uncommon at homebirths, however they usually don't need to be stitched, and if you decide you do want it stitched you can always go to the hospital later. In other words, it's not an emergency situation warranting immediate medical attention.

Hope this helps. All the best.

April Udatsu said...

Thank you for this!
My husband is Japanese and we're currently living in the USA, but I plan on going back "home" to give birth once we have kids together. (I have two from a previous relationship, my daughter was a freebirth here)
After trying to figure out how to get the Japanese passport while you're born abroad, I figure just having the baby over there is a ton easier, lol. But After my first child, I am definitely not a hospital birther! My daughter's freebirth was so amazing and she has such a calm personality - which I think is directly linked to her birth versus her brother who is off the wall haha, and my hospital birth felt like hell with him.
Anyways!
I was just looking around to find out if UC is legal in Japan because it's honestly the only way I want to have any subsequent children and found your page. So thank you for everything from the legality to the paperwork explanations/instructions!!

April Udatsu said...

Oh I forgot! I did tear with both my hospital birth and home birth, but tearing isn't a big deal at all. I would say it was worse with my hospital birth because even though it wasn't bad enough to NEED stitches, my doctor took it upon herself to stitch me anyways, and I don't know what kind of damage that caused because it was wayyyyy too tight and took a long time to be able to do anything...down there...... for a long time.

I have a weird dangly skin thing from my UC now, but healing naturally and having a weird skin thing is 100x better than the pain from the stitching too tight and having to stretch your whoohah back to normal.

Linda Bentz said...

Hello, thank you for this information. Do you know whats involved with having a CPM (Certified Professional Midwife) from the US come to Japan to assist a woman? She would be legally practicing?

Nat said...

Hi Linda, thanks for stopping by. Is your question in the context of planning a homebirth or hospital birth? I can't give a definitive answer, but I imagine that your CPM would fulfill the same role as my doula did for me. That is, she would be your assistant during the birth and could sign paperwork for you as a witness. I doubt she would have practicing rights in a hospital, but I simply don't know what the facts really are. I'd recommend you contact the Japanese Midwives Association (English language website http://www.midwife.or.jp/common/en_about_us.html) for a more thorough and hopefully up-to-date answer. All the best! :)

Grace said...

Thank you for posting this. Did you receive any financial compensation from the Japanese government that typically goes towards the hospital fees? I ask this because I am interested in flying a midwife over from Canada and am wondering if I can somehow get her airfare covered.

Unknown said...

Hi, I know this is from 8 years ago but I am an American currently living in Japan. I live on Kyushu in Sasebo and I'm trying to find a midwife to do a homebirth and I'm not having any luck. Any help or guidance would be amazing!

Nat said...

Hi Grace, We did receive an unexpected lump sum payment from the Japanese government after our son was born, although I'm sorry I just can't remember how much it was now. I doubt it was enough to cover airfare or expenses for a foreign midwife, though. Maybe 50000 yen? Maybe even 100000?. All I remember is that it was the middle of the GFC back then, and being foreigners we were surprised to receive anything at all. Sorry I'm not much help! All the best, Nat

Nat said...

(Grace replied privately): Thank you for getting back to me. Just in case someone else asks you, I just heard through another contact that they brought over a midwife and received ¥420000 from the japanese government.

Nat said...

Hi "Unknown". :) If you haven't already, I'd recommend you contact the Japanese Midwives Association (English language website http://www.midwife.or.jp/common/en_about_us.html). They might be able to help you find a homebirth midwife. Sorry I can't be of more help than that. Good luck!